Friday, March 27, 2009

It’s Allergy Season, Time for a Mold Inspection

Submit to
Spring means allergy season. This is the time of the year that pollen, dust and mold is at its worst. Now is the time when we need to pay more attention to our health and the health of our family. Did you know that ALL allergy symptoms are a common side effect of an allergic reaction to mold? The most common side effects of mold include coughing, sneezing, runny nose, sinus infections, migraines, and itchy eyes. Have you ever had that cough or cold that just would not go away? You may have been having an allergic reaction to mold growing in your home, because of the fact that it is in your home you are always exposed to it.
Mold lives off moisture and the spring time means that the humidity is high and the mold in your home is thriving and growing at a remarkable rate. Mold commonly found in damp humid areas of the home and is usually found in basements, attics, and bathrooms under sinks, behind toilets, and around the window seams. When mold is growing behind your walls it can be very hard to find, in many cases it is impossible to find without help from the professionals and their equipment.
Keep your family safe this year and have a mold inspection done during spring cleaning time to make sure that you are providing the safest environment for your family and pets. For more information on the different types of household mold as well as some great tips on removing the mold visit Certified Mold Removal Specialist.

Monday, March 16, 2009

What to know about Athlete’s Foot and the household mold that causes it

Submit to
America is becoming a very unsanitary place with more than half of all homes and businesses harboring hundreds of different species of mold and bacteria. It is surprising that with these statistics we do not see more cases of athlete’s foot and jock itch but then again, most that have been infected by these bacteria are unaware that they have it. Athlete’s foot is commonly misdiagnosed as ring worm to be cured with a useless cream, what you may not know is that the process of cleaning your feet before applying the cream is what heals your infection.

Athlete’s foot is a communicable disease transmitted from human to human and in some cases even animal to human. It is caused by a parasite fungus that attaches itself to a host and deteriorates the skin in which it has attached itself. Commonly found on the bottom of the feet and between the toes. The beginning stages of athlete’s foot involve itching and redness between the toes and soles of the feet. Blistering and small bumps will be present and will resemble ringworm. If the athlete’s foot is not properly taken care of the blisters will begin to crack and the skin will peel which can become very painful and uncomfortable. In some cases the feet and toes will begin to bleed and become subjected to a second infection that can result in amputation.

Athlete’s foot is common in adult males and teens as well as anyone with a low immune system. This infection can be spread through direct contact with someone infected with these bacteria and is found in showers, around pools, locker rooms and anywhere that people walk around with bare feet. This parasite can also be spread by scratching and can often travel to the genital areas resulting in jock itch.

To cure and prevent athlete’s foot you should always keep your feet clean and dry by regularly washing your feet including between toes and under toe nails with an antibacterial soap. Make sure that your feet are completely dry before putting on socks and shoes by sprinkling baby powder inside your shoes and socks as well as all over your feet to absorb the moisture. If your feet begin to sweat or your feet are exposed to moisture remove your shoes and socks immediately to allow your feet to dry and put on fresh socks and shoes.

If you believe that you have athlete’s foot you should take the proper measures to protect your feet from this fungus taking over. Seek medical attention if your symptoms do not go away or if they re appear. To find out more on how you can prevent household mold in your home from taking over visit:
Certified Mold Removal Specialist
Certified Mold Inspections
East Coast Mold Specialists
Mold Inspections

More than 50% of all homes in America are growing mold and many people are becoming sick from this mold without even knowing. The mold in your bathroom alone can cause athlete's foot, jock itch, asthma and even cancer!
I had a mold inspection done on my home last year and found out that I had black mold in my home - one of the most dangerous types of mold. My home is only three years old so just think about the mold that can be growing in an older home.

These websites give you allot of great information on mold and the best ways to remove the mold in your home. I would recommend to everyone to have a mold inspection done on their homes to ensure the safety of their family and pets.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Stachybotrys – toxic black mold

Submit to
Mold is becoming a problem all over the United States and is an important reason for concern among home and business owners. Over the past few years we have seen a rise in household mold exposure cases and in some instances has resulted in serious illnesses and death. Stachybotrys or black mold is commonly found in areas that are frequently subjected to water and moisture including carpets, furniture and even wallpaper. Black mold is identified by its greenish black color that is often slimy to the touch. This fungus releases tiny spores consisting of deadly chemicals called mycotoxins into the air which is picked up in your air conditioning and distributed throughout your entire home to be inhaled by your family and pets.
The common side effects of mold include coughing and sneezing and can easy be misdiagnosed as the common cold or allergy. Short term exposure to black mold can cause a large variety of flu like symptoms ranging from stuffy nose and itchy eyes to skin rashes and nausea. If long term exposure to mold occurs the side effects can become deadly. Serious side effects include cancer, miscarriages, still births and even bleeding in the lungs. This serious bacteria is also known to cause athletes foot and jock itch which can be difficult if not impossible to treat and can be easily spread from human to human.
Stachybotrys is also very deadly for animals as well. Black mold is commonly found in hay that has been exposed to moisture. Stachybotrys has been linked to the deaths of hundreds of horses and cows who have eaten contaminated hay. Animals do not have to ingest the mold to become deathly ill; they simply have to inhale it. Black mold exposure in horses can cause serious neurologic damage as well as severe rashes and irritations to the mouth gums and lips. Black mold is also the leading cause of COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease which causes shortness of breath, wheezing and coughing in horses making it very difficult to breathe.
If you believe that your family and animals have been exposed to stachybotrys you should seek a doctor or veterinarian before the affects of this mold become permanent. If you are unsure of a possible mold problem in your home a simple mold inspection will give you all of your answers on the type of mold found in your home as well as the proper procedure to remove it.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mold growing in Retirement Homes

Submit to
As the baby boomers begin to reach the age where they need to retire many of them are going to retirement homes and assisted living facilities. The retirement homes are overcrowded and some are unable to manage the amount of residents that they have anymore. This is becoming a very serious issue for those who are looking for a place to go and even worse for those who are already in the overcrowded retirement facilities. With the large amount of residents they are unable to keep up with everyone and the maintenance is working overtime to try and keep up with repairs and sanitation.

Mold is becoming a problem in many homes, nursing homes and retirement homes across the world. More than half of all homes in America have at least one type of mold growing within so just think about the mold that can be growing in a nursing home. Many of the residents in nursing homes already have low-immune systems so when they are threatened by mold it can result in very serious illnesses and infections and will even lead to cancer.

If you suspect that your loved one is being exposed to mold while living in a retirement home or assisted living you should request for that nursing home to have a mold inspection done immediately to ensure the safety of all of the people staying in the facility. Do whatever it takes to have this inspection done and if you have to hire a Certified Mold Removal Specialist yourself to come in there and inspect the property you should do it. Exposure to mold will guarantee that your family members will continue to deteriorate and will prevent them from living a happy life.